This page is available in Inuktitut! ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ
At SSi, we strive to provide excellent support for our QINIQ customers. We are available by phone or email Monday through Friday from 8:30am – 9:00pm Eastern (ET). In every community there is a local CSP available to offer you assistance for your basic troubleshooting needs. SSi provides an account management system for your convenience.
Sign in to perform many functions including:
- Load your Mobile Wallet to:
- Ensure additional min when needed
- Ensure additional data when needed
- Roam when traveling outside Nunavut
- Monitor your data usage
- Determine your account status
- Check your account balance
- Make payments
- Change plans and billing options
- Redeem gift cards
- Update contact details
- View usage history
- View invoices
- Find out your monthly payment date
The following instructions will guide you in setting up your mobile phone. If you experience any difficulties, please give us a call!
Device activation instructions
- Insert the SSi Mobile SIM card into the device and turn the device on
- Open a browser on your device and go to qiniq.com. This will take you to the QINIQ customer portal. If your device has no browser, access the customer portal on a computer at qiniq.com/my/4g
- Log in with your existing QINIQ account or create a new account
- Enter the 10-digit Activation Code from the white box on your SIM card
- You will now be able to select a Mobile Plan and purchase additional data and minutes with a credit card
- To pay with cash, contact your local Community Service Provider
LTE Data Settings
- Access your Settings menu
- Select Mobile Networks (if Android 7, under Wireless & Networks, tap More and then Mobile Networks)
- Select Access Point Names, then Add or +
- Enter the the following information in the appropriate fields, and leave all other fields as they are
MMS proxy: mms.ssimicro.com
MMS port: 80
- Select More (If Android 7, select the icon), and then Save
- Select/activate the new Access Point Name that you have just created
- If your device does not immediately establish a data connection, reboot the device
- Tap: Settings – Cellular – Cellular Data Options – Cellular Data Network – APN
- Enter the following SSi Mobile Data APN and MMS settings:
Cellular Data APN: ssi992.ssimicro.com
LTE setup APN: ssi992.ssimicro.com
MMS APN: ssi992.ssimicro.com
MMS proxy: mms.ssimicro.com
(Note: APN needs to be entered in three different places on the same screen as above.)
- Save the settings.
Configuring Android phones
- Select the icon, then the phone dialer, then More and then Settings
- Select Voicemail Settings
- Enter the following as your voicemail number: 18672029191
- Select the icon, then the in the upper right corner, then Settings
- Select Calls, then Voicemail, then Setup
- Enter the following as your voicemail number: 18672029191
Voicemail should be configured automatically from the SSi
Mobile SIM card to the number 18672029191
Set up your personal voicemail
- Access voicemail menu: There are multiple ways to access your personal voicemail. Refer to your device’s manual for more options. You can access SSi voicemail with any of these methods on most phones:
- On the keypad, press and hold the number 1
- Dial *86 (shortcut to SSi Voicemail system)
- Call 867-202-9191 (SSi Voicemail system)
- Enter default password “0000”
- Enter your new password (Something you can remember)
- Confirm your new password
- Record a greeting that will be heard when somebody is calling.
- Record a spoken name that will be heard when you leave messages with others.
Unlocking Your Phone
All phones sold by SSi Mobile via your Community Service Providers are sold “Unlocked”. It is a good idea to ask your CSP to insert your SIM card to make sure your new phone connects to the SSi Mobile network. Follow all instructions above and there should be no problems.
If you are using a phone that was connected to another network, it may still be locked to that old network. If you insert your SIM card, and you cannot make a phone call, your phone may be locked to your old provider. To unlock your phone:
- Look up your 15-digit IMEI number unique to your phone.
Android – Open Settings – About device – Status – Find the “IMEI” section.
iPhone – Open Settings – General – About – Find the “IMEI” section. The fifteen-digit number listed in the IMEI section is your phone’s IMEI number.
- Call your previous provider and ask them to unlock your phone. (See chart below for common carriers. They will ask for your IMEI.)
Bell Mobility: www.bell.ca/unlockdevice
Bell MTS: 1-800-883-2054
Virgin Mobile: 1-888-999-2321
- Power off your phone.
- Insert the SIM card start again using “Device Activation Instructions” above.
Manuals, Agreements and Warranties
Your Customer Agreement consists of:
- Customer Service Plan Overview* (EN) (ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ)
- Terms of Service** (EN) (ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ)
*Summary of key terms that apply to the Service Plan
Get the Most out of your usage
We want our customers to get the most out of their mobile plans and devices. To help ensure that you’re able to stay connected, we have put together a series of tips that will help you conserve your monthly Data usage.
The TIPS shown below are for SSi sold devices only (Android operating systems). Depending on your version of Android, there may be some slight differences to configure settings.
To manage data usage on iPhones, here are some useful links:
To manage data usage on other operating systems, please consult the product instructions or search the Internet.
If you have any questions about any of these tips please give us a call! We’d be more than happy to walk you through anything we’ve discussed in order to ensure you’re getting the most out of your usage. Our toll-free number is 1-877-686-2888 (NUNAVUT).
Manage your Mobile Data
Turning off Mobile Data is a great way to conserve your Data. In doing so you can only connect to the internet when you have a WI-FI connection. Ideal when connecting your device for the first time, since this is likely when the automatic system upgrades for your device will occur and will consume a lot of data right away. Also ideal when running low on your monthly limit.
Apps > Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data
Set your Mobile Data Limit
Setting your Mobile Data Limit allows you to have peace of mind and keep you in control of how much Data you consume on a month by month basis. It also conveniently warns you when you are running low. To adjust yours simply choose the month and move sliders up or down to desired levels.
Apps > Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data Limit
Restrict your Background Data
Restricting your background data stops your Apps from updating randomly. Apps have a tendency to update at anytime of the day and if you’re away from a WI-FI zone you’ll use data every time your Apps update without realizing it.
Android 6: Apps > Settings >
Data Usage > More > Restrict Background Data
Download Files on WIFI only
Unless you absolutely have to, refrain from downloading songs, movies, or large files while using a cellular data connection. If you need to download files from the internet, always use WI-FI where possible.
Preload Streaming-App Content
As we become increasingly frugal about cellular data usage, more apps offer caching (or preloading), letting you download content on Wi-Fi and view it at any later time. Spotify, for example, lets users download playlists. Similarly, YouTube preloads subscriptions and videos on your “Watch Later” list.
Update Apps on WIFI only
Head to the Google Play store and tap:
Menu > Settings > Auto-update apps.
Here, be sure “Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only” is selected. You also have the option to choose “Do not auto-update apps,” but it’s less preferred, since you’ll have to remember to update apps manually.
Adjusting Youtube video quality
You can change video quality in the YouTube mobile apps just as you can on the web. Adjusting the quality will help you conserve your data when not connected to WI-FI.
Menu > Quality
Limit Facebook Data usage
Inside the Facebook app, tap on the icon on the right hand side and scroll down to App Settings. Tap on App Settings and you’ll see a list of toggle features. Untoggle ‘Upload photos in HD’ and ‘Upload Videos in HD’”
To disable the dreaded Facebook video auto-play feature, tap on Auto-play. Now you can choose if, when and how videos will now auto-play in your Facebook feed.
Restrict Facebook Messengers background Data consumption
Go to “Settings”. Tap on the “Data Usage” option located under the Connections section. Scroll down and you will see a list of apps that are consuming data, look for the “Messenger” and tap on it Once.
Under Messenger, scroll down a little bit and you will see a checkbox that says, “Restrict background data”. Tap to enable the checkbox. You will see a popup box asking for the confirmation, simply tap on “Ok”.
Monitor Your Usage in the Customer Portal
Our easy-to-use Customer Portal provides you with convenient tools for:
Viewing your daily, weekly or monthly usage
Setting a low usage warning
Setting your download speed with Cruise Control
Access the Customer Portal at: www.qiniq.com/my/4g
All phones that operate on the SSi Mobile network must support the following frequencies:
- GSM 1900 MHz (PCS 1900) for voice and texting
- LTE 2600 MHz (Band 7) for LTE data
Check to make sure your phone meets the SSi Mobile network requirements by using this convenient network compatibility tool.
Simply enter the IMEI number of your phone into the field below.
MESSAGE RELAY SERVICE
For persons with hearing or speech disabilities
Message Relay Service (MRS) is available to customers on the QINIQ/SSi Mobile network who are hearing or speech impaired, allowing them to conveniently communicate with others through a relay operator. MRS is a text-to-voice and voice-to-text service by which the operator communicates to the hearing or speech impaired person via text (over a text phone, computer, laptop or wireless device) and to the other party via voice over the phone. Customers send their message via text to the relay operator, who reads the message to the other party. The relay operator then types the other party’s spoken words back to the customer.
For more information on our Message Relay Service, please contact a customer service agent at 1-877-686-2888 or by email email@example.com.